Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

One Round-Trip Drive to Boston = 2 Hats + 3 Coffee Cozies

The house is quiet, and I'm trying not to eat.  There must be millions who relate to that simple compulsion.  And so I write...

I recently drove to and from Boston with some friends to see Hillsong United.  I have always loved road trips, but these days I don't "sit" very well.  Life has left me with too much to ponder, and pondering can take me to places I don't always want to go.  Reading in the car usually results in a sore tummy, but what else can be done while chit-chatting away on a long drive?  You guessed it...  CROCHET!  Yes, my new-found obsession is the perfect way to pass the time, keeping my hands and mind sufficiently occupied.

The "right" side of Dave's hat.
I chose two simple patterns so that I could still participate in lively conversation.  I had promised Dave (my dear hubby) a hat quite a while ago, and this was the perfect time to fulfill that promise.  He wasn't keen on the hat pattern I made for my brother Sean for his birthday, even without the pom-pom, so I chose a simple single-crochet pattern instead.  I decided to only crochet through the back-loops, which made the hat reversible with two really neat sides to choose from.  If Dave didn't like one side (which he didn't), he could wear the other!

The "wrong" side of Dave's hat, and also his favorite.
I wasn't sure how long it would take to make Dave's hat, but using Lion Brand Thick & Quick yarn and a size N hook, his hat was done by the time we drove out of Bangor!  I was so glad I had brought that second pattern and additional yarn because....  I got to make MYSELF a hat.  My first ever "for me" item!  I can't tell you how excited I was.  I have a few purchased knit items, and since I have started knitting myself, I am often asked if I made them.  Now I'll be able to proudly say YES!

The pattern I used is the same one I made for Sean, but this time I chose to spiral the ribbing, the effect of which is just too cool for words and also added a distinctly feminine touch.  I finished off my hat with a few rows of single-crochet, and voila!  My new hat.  :)

My Hat!
At this point, we were on the drive home, but were by no means home yet.  And I had a bit of yarn left over.  Hmmmmmm.....  I hadn't brought any other patterns, and there really wasn't that much yarn.  What could be done?  Boston Road Trip Coffee Cozies!  Of course we had a coffee cup in the car, so I just fiddled around a bit until I had made the first prototype.  Follow that up with two more, and I'd say that was one very productive road trip.  And we still had driving time left!

Road trips provide an excellent opportunity for self-discovery, but let's face it.  There's only so much we really want to know about ourselves.  So the moral of this road trip story is to bring your hook, and LOTS of yarn!  You'll be glad you did.

7 comments:

  1. I want a Corinne Hat! they look awesome! Well done Mrs.Fowler!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Model looks very proud. Love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one talented lady! Good for you for making something for yourself - I love your new hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone! i LOVE making things for other people, but i must say, it was a nice treat to end up with something for me, too. :)

    kait, just let me know what color you'd like. i'll make one for you before you move away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Dave wearing sunglasses so he remains anonymous on the Internet? Hee hee! I might have to stop following your blog, as your endless talent makes me vomit in my mouth. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, i'm not sure why he wore his sunglasses... he even made me stop so he could put them on; however, i don't profess to understand the inner workings of the male mind. :D
    and if vomit is a compliment, then you are too kind, LOL!!! although, if i went by that criteria, i would have to stop reading all the blogs i follow... there are so many more talented people out there that inspire me (i.e. you!). xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh Really :) I will need a cozy hat for my long saskatchewan winters! - brr I Love browns, and Greens and Beige's! but anything really Im easy to please!

    ReplyDelete