Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Very Good Place to Start...

Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start...  I can't say it any better than the problematic Maria did in "The Sound of Music".  Every blog starts with an idea, and this one came from my sister.  It's her birthday, and she was determined that I should have a blog that documents my bouts of creative escapism.  I say "escapism", if that even is a word, because that's exactly what it is.  Escaping.  We all have things going on in our lives that are all too real, and sometimes it's nice to step back, flake out, and pretend as though life is normal, or maybe not even happening at all.  Like a real life "pause" button.  Yes, that's it.  A "pause" button.  Of course, anyone with children knows that "pause" does not exist between the hours of 7am - 7pm.  Ok, more like 6am - 8pm.  Ok, more like anytime when they aren't sleeping.  Children have this beautiful ability to keep us going, like tiny little precious motors installed into the very core of our being.  My children and my husband are my life, but they all go to sleep long before I do.  So what does a sorta-kinda obsessive-compulsive insomniac with a hint of ADD do when her motors are all sleeping?  The answer is simple.  Keep busy.  I know that sounds crazy.  Keep busy does not equal pause, right?  Well, if my mind is so busy that it can't contemplate reality, that is a beautiful kind of pause.  When my family is awake, that happens organically.  But while the kids are sleeping, I occupy my somewhat dysfunctional mind by doing needle-crafts, cooking, baking, exercising, watching tv, and sometimes various combinations of the above.  Yes, the laundry sometimes creeps in there, and (bleck!) house work, but no one wants to read about that.  I think.  Well, I wouldn't want to read about that and I'm pretty sure my sister doesn't either, so I won't write about it.
I already gave my sister her birthday present, but presents are always better in multiples, so here it is.  Present #2.  Happy Birthday Sis!  xo

7 comments:

  1. Awe a great pause for me today. Keep the blogs coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read more!! You have such an entertaining wealth of vocabulary. Keep it coming!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome start, I look forward to future postings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great..can't wait to read more...it is so true..everybody goes to sleep before Mom...well in my home anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand this completely, only I don't have children to keep me motoring (although my students help, days at school pass by in a blur!) Keeping busy is my kind of "pause" too (and probably why I never sit still!) Welcome to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks everyone! thanks especially to jill for the inspiration and the motivation to get this started. :D xo

    ReplyDelete