Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

BEST Homemade Bits & Bites

I'm not a fan of store-bought Bits & Bites.  I should on all accounts love those handy little snacks.  Salty, crunchy carbs?!  They are all the things that I love, and I should find them delicious.  I don't know why, but I just don't.

Take One:  Everyone say CHEESE!
A few weeks ago my friend Angela sent us a homemade treat, and of course I was excited!  I was a little less excited when I found out it was Bits & Bites, but I still really appreciated the gesture, and I knew Dave and Naomi would devour them in no time.  I just don't like Bits & Bites.  Even still, Angela had made them, and I wanted to try them just to see what they were like.  Well, let me tell you, that was an "aha" moment even Oprah would have been proud of.  There was no Bits & Bites about it....  It was more like Lots & Mouthfuls.  I honestly couldn't shovel these into my face fast enough!  To give you some perspective, even the pretzels tasted good.  In case you missed that, EVEN THE PRETZELS TASTED GOOD!

Angela was gracious enough to share the recipe, so here it is.  She's unsure of the original source but a friend of hers gave her the recipe years ago.  If you don't like store bought Bits & Bites, or heck, even if you do, TRY THESE!  They are sure to blow your snack-lovin-mind.

Take Two:  Everyone say BITS & BITES!
Lots & Mouthfuls...  er, I mean, Bits & Bites

In a large roasting pan, mix together:

1 box of mini Ritz
1 box of Cheese Nips
4 cups of Shreddies
4 cups of pretzels

In a measuring cup, mix together:

1/2 cup of canola oil
2 tsp of dried dill weed
1 pkg of Clubhouse brand Ranch Dressing mix

Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir well.
Bake at 250 for 10 minutes.  Stir then bake for another 10 minutes.


I cannot even begin to describe how delicious these are hot from the oven, so be sure to try some as soon as they are done.  When we made ours, we used Goldfish crackers, mini Ritz, Crispix cereal, and straight pretzels, but the possibilities are endless.  Angela even suggested making a really huge, extra-yummy, crazy batch by doubling the wet mixture, and also doubling the dry mixture, but using eight different snacks instead of just four.  I am definitely going to try that next time.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. okay i am hungry, needy and lazy could you bring me a bag

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! of course i can bring you a bag! i made some last night and have lots. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such good memories attached to homemade bits and bites...my mom made them every Christmas for us and to give away. Sweet Pics!

    ReplyDelete